Monday, April 27, 2009

Could this be part of the problem?

Here is how garbage is collected in our neighborhood This truck drives into the middle of our street and starts ringing a bell, so we all know they are here and we should bring our garbage out. (I like this part, because when we were in Utah, sometimes we would forget to put the garbage out on garbage day)
The men jump right in the back of the truck and sort the garbage with their bare hands! I think this might be a part of the problem with the flu down here. Anyway, every time I see this I can hardly believe my eyes and I worry about these guys. They've really got to change this.

And to top it all off, while I was posting these pictures, we had a little earthquake here! I looked on the CNN site, they said it was in Chilpancingo, which is quite a bit south of Mexico City. They are reporting that there was no damage, so that's a good thing.
What's next?

5 comments:

Grandma A said...

It's hard to believe that they would sort it out with their bare hands. I think you are right about how the flu could spread this way.

Brandon said...

At least they have an actual truck. :)

In Guatemala the garbage man rode in a wagon pulled by a horse. The horse added such a lovely smell to the trash.

Nelle B said...

I've seen the horse drawn wagons here, too. We are lucky to have an actual truck. I just wish they were lucky enough to have actual gloves!

Blaine said...

Why do they need to "sort" the garbage? Are they getting the recyclable stuff out - or looking for treasure?

This swine flu sounds scary. Hope you guys are okay down there.

Nelle B said...

I really don't know why they sort the garbage. You'd think they would start a recycling program and let the people sort it for them.
We're not sure how bad the flu thing is, but the media love to show the Mexican people in their surgical masks. What they don't report though, is that they put the masks on for a little cold or sniffle. It's just not that unusual to see people wearing them here.