Saturday, December 19, 2009

A few miscellaneous pics

This is an apartment building we pass by on the way to the southeast part of the mission. It looks like an abandoned building to me, but there are actually a lot of people living in it.
This is a street in the worst part of our mission and the city. It's called Chimalhuacan. Not pretty.
This lovely lady is one of the "Katarina's" that are all over the place for "Dia de los Muertos" or Day of the Dead, which is November 1st and 2nd. I think maybe they should call it Night of the Dead because they stay all night in the cemtery from the 1st to the 2nd. They decorate the cemetery using orange marigold flowers and the favorite foods of the people that have died. I don't think it is connected to Halloween, but the orange and black color scheme is the same, and the skeletons kind of fit in with that, too.


I'm not an animal lover, but I do feel sorry for the dirty little dogs running all over the place. It makes me wonder what they did to deserve a life like this.

1 comment:

Grandma A said...

Thanks for posting the pictures.
It gives us an insight to how it really looks in the poor part of the city.


Happy day, your son is going to be there tomorrow. :)