On Thursday afternoon I was driving toward Constituyentes - a large 6 lane road - toward Ryan's school. As I turned the corner onto this road, six men were walking along the side with a white casket on their shoulders. A large group of people were walking behind them. At first, I smiled and wondered what in the world was going on, but after a few seconds I realized that this was a real funeral procession. It was quite humbling to realize that these people were walking with their loved one to the cemetery, with the pallbearers actually carrying the casket on their shoulders.
Sometimes I will see a full sized bus, painted gray, with the word "Funeral" or "Funerale" on the front. I'm not the authority on this or anything, but it seems like the people have the funeral at a church and then go together on the large bus to the cemetery (There are a lot of people in Mexico City that don't own a car at all). I think that this group of people I saw on Constituyentes had just left the bus and they were walking down the street to the cemetery, which was very closeby. So different from the funeral processions I've seen at home. It was quite a touching scene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment