Last Week we had three days of Zone Conferences. It was great to see all the missionaries again. This time we had Elder and Sister Thomas with us. Elder Thomas, a psychologist, is the mental health advisor for the area of Mexico. He and his wife visit each mission periodically and give a presentation during zone conferences.
I really enjoyed hearing his message - he taught that the key to our mental wellness really begins with controlling our thoughts. If we get depressed or down, by examining our thoughts, we can change ourselves. Negative thoughts bring a negative result in our lives. Replacing negative thoughts with positive thoughts can make all the difference.
He gave each missionary a gratitude rock. Each time they start feeling down or depressed or discouraged, they are to get out the rock and put it between their thumb and index finger and rub it while they think of all the things they are grateful for. By the time they have named several blessings, the discouragement will be gone! I've tried it and it works - and I'm grateful that Elder and Sister Thomas were able to be with our mission this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm going to get a gratitude rock
and try it. It sounds like a good idea.
Hi Ellen, I think it would take a gratitude BOULDER for me right now with my crazy life. J/k Hope you guys are doing well down there... I'm excited for Ryan to come to BYU in January. :)
Post a Comment